Sunday, January 29, 2012

Introductory Thoughts

Post One
Introductory Thoughts

My experience with animation is fairly limited.  I worked on two animated films with classmates as an undergrad.  One a short claymation piece and the other a cutout animation.  I have a small amount of experience with desktop animation software, but nothing that I would call myself well-versed in.  

My fondness for animation grows back from childhood.  As a child of the Eighties I was inundated with spectacular animated television shows such as Thundercats, He-Man, Silverhawks, GI Joe and Voltron.  Of course I included a steady diet of Looney Tunes and Disney shorts as well as the aforementioned Japanese influenced action-adventure cartoons.  However, in 1990 when I first saw The Simpsons, I became hooked on the possibilities of animation to not only showcase the extreme and spectacular, but also the banal minutia of everyday life.  Then I saw Street of Crocodiles by the Brothers Quay and I truly learned what an expressive art form animation could be.

I am looking forward to the class as it will give me the opportunity to view more animated films that  I have not seen, revisit some that I have seen with a more critical eye, and understand more about the overall theory of animation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment